[clug] OT: Solar power recommendations and advice

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Apr 20 16:49:39 MDT 2010

steve jenkin wrote:
> Andrew Loughhead wrote on 20/04/10 9:13 PM:
>> Michael Still wrote:
>>> It is my understanding that you can't just turn coal power plants up
>>> and down... I believe they normally run at the maximum output required
>>> in the daily cycle, and various companies buy the unneeded power at a
>>> cheaper rate.
>> On the electric car interview I posted the other day [1] this fact was
>> used to support the overnight charging of electric cars, as producing a
>> net CO2 reduction from electric car use, in comparison to petrol.  The
>> power and CO2 are already being produced anyway, so the electric car
>> lets the community make use of it.  Presumably its only true if some of
>> the overnight power is not doing anything useful already.
>>
>> 1. http://www.abc.net.au/rn/latenightlive/stories/2010/2873530.htm
>
> Without listening to Philip and guest, it doesn't look like 'Better Place'.
>
> A friend saw an interview/TV piece with the CEO who was talking about
> using their EV batteries as a buffer [my word] in the grid.
>
> Anyone heard of this proposal?
>
> Its a good fit with unpredictable generating sources, like wind.

The Big G has been playing with stuff like this for a while
(http://www.google.org/recharge/). IIRC the cars dump excess charge into
the grid during the day, and then suck if back at night when grid demand
is lower. I might be misremembering though, cause I last took a look at
the project a couple of years ago.

Mikal