[clug] cheap pvr

Gary Woodman antigramp at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 11 19:25:51 MDT 2010

--- On Sun, 11/4/10, Hank J. Doll <hankjay at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Gary says he uses it with Mint 8.  My question; does
> it require any special drivers or does it work straight out
> of the box.

Yes. It worked fine with Mint 4, but seemed to suffer from a regression (and several geographical relocations), didn't work again until Mint 8 (and I did try, Mint 5 & 7, Lenny and PCLinuxOS and several 'buntus).

> Furthermore does  time-shifting work better.

Better than what? I'm using dinky-di Me TV. You can set it to record from the on-screen EPG, or an arbitrary time span in the future. That's about the limit of my interest. No, you can't change channel while you are recording. You can't record two channels at once, either. Don't you need dual tuners for that?

> One more if I haven't bored you by now, who sells it?

I bought mine here:
http://umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=4
Of course this is the X model, the non-X is probably not available any more. I bought it 2 1/2 years ago!

HTH
Gary