[clug] dd

Kevin Pulo kev at pulo.com.au
Sun Apr 11 19:13:40 MDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:41:59AM +1000, Hal Ashburner wrote:

>> ...er, they generally don't.  Much as I love a good "blame the tools" story,
>> either you changed the partition "names", or you used an automatic tool to
>> create them that isn't producing the same output every time.
>
> I've seen this happen too. In fact it's why my fstab now identifies
> partitions by UUID rather than device file. The symptom is /dev/sda1 this
> boot can be /dev/sdb1 next. Really quite common for something that
> generally doesn't happen, the heads up & reminder is definitely
> worthwhile, for mine.

I thought this was exactly the SNAFU that a good udev configuration
was supposed to deal with?  Including network interface naming, etc...
Perhaps the snag is that some installer environments don't use udev?

Kev.

| Kevin Pulo                Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. |
| kev at pulo.com.au               _ll l_ng__g_e_ _r_ hi__ly p__d_ct__le. |
| http://www.kev.pulo.com.au/         God casts the die, not the dice. |
`--------------- Linux: The choice of a GNU generation. ---------------'