[clug] dd

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Apr 11 18:53:38 MDT 2010

On 12/04/2010, at 10:31 , Daniel Pittman wrote:

> ...er, they generally don't.

Not recently for you perhaps. I've had many cases where things like ethernet cards or disk controllers would be initialised in different orders each boot, I blame a race condition (whichever card was ready to respond to the PCI bus first got eth0), though it's entirely possible the kernel was written to deliberately do it in order to piss people like me off.

Recent kernels had that file in /etc/somethingoranother where you could bind particular PCI cards to particular ethernet numbers, for example. So my machine with three Intel EtherPro 100 cards could be cabled into the network permanently.

I've even had an experience where the hard drives in my boxen would come up as different disk numbers for no apparent reason. One boot, disk controller 1 gets to be the boot drive, next boot it's disk controller 2.

Alex