[clug] Wikipedia and Deletionism

Karun Dambiec kdambiec at fsfe.org
Sat Apr 10 18:32:25 MDT 2010

On 1/04/10 3:32 PM, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> Like any group, my experience is that what you really need are clear social
> goals for the people around the project, and both the will and the ability to
> enforce those.[1]
>
> Wikipedia might do it, or it might not — thinking about this more I don't see
> it as more significant than the next fight over what matters, or doesn't
> matter: it isn't much different to the fight about deletion of relevant
> historic figures as "not notable", while every individual Pokémon creature
> had a page.
>
> The interesting part will be how well they handle the social aspects of the
> problem, and until that settles *and* we see how people react[2] to their
> enforcing whatever social stuff.

Looks like today there was another example of these issues with
Wikipedia. For instance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_response_to_the_2010_Polish_Air_Force_Tu-154_crash
was split of from the main article
and almost instantly proposed for deletion.

It seems very strange to propose an article for deletion immediately
that is still being worked on, and when the significant international
event is still happening.
Perhaps Wikimedia and Wikipedia as a whole needs to look into these
issues a lot more.