[clug] On Analogy, was: Re: [OT] Bjarne Stroustrop on [SEC=PERSONAL]

Steve McInerney steve at stedee.id.au
Thu Apr 8 20:25:17 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 11:47 +1000, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> On 09/04/2010, at 11:40 , Steve McInerney wrote:
>
> > Arguing via analogy is an old trick in the "methods of dirty
> arguing"
> > arsenal.
>
> Analogy is also a useful tool in explaining things to people who
> aren't familiar with the subject of the main argument.
>
> Just because someone uses an analogy in an argument doesn't mean they
> have no basis to argue from.

Alex, why are you agreeing with me in an argumentative way?
eg Misrepresenting what I wrote by cherry picking that one line?
As well as ignoring the meaning of what I wrote in the one line you did
quote.

To add just a little more:
> Arguing via analogy is an old trick in the "methods of dirty arguing"
> arsenal.
>
> Analogy should only used to provide illumination to a topic that may
> be unfamiliar to all/some participants.

I could throw in an analogy or two to better explain my position, but
that'd be rude of me. ;-)

Cheers!
- Steve