[clug] Ubuntu 10.4

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Apr 1 02:59:40 MDT 2010

freds72 at softhome.net writes:

> The way to change buttons in Ubuntu 10.4 is;
>
> $ gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout \
>                    --type string "menu:minimize,maximize,close"
>
> most strange

Strange?  It seems perfectly in keeping with the GNOME design philosophy to
me, in which software should "just work, without configuration", and in which
configuration options are a sign of design failure.

I am honestly surprised that metacity continues to support configuration of
those buttons at all, much more than I am surprised the only interface is
through the GNOME registry.

...or did you mean something else?
        Daniel