[clug] Non-Job - CLUG monthly meeting organiser person required

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Wed Sep 30 17:31:05 MDT 2009

Robert Brockway wrote:

> Hi all. This seems like quite a lot for one volunteer position.
It all really depends on the person.

Paul took over from me when I got moved from Canberra to Melbourne for
work purposes (at an ungodly amount of short notice), and before I
departed was I coordinating both CLUG and PSIG. Being a sysadmin
primarily, and not a coder, I had more trouble finding talks for PSIG
than I did for CLUG (at one point, with very little effort, I had
somehow managed to plan 6 meetings ahead on the CLUG talk schedule, but
was grasping at straws for the PSIG meeting speakers with quite a lot of
effort expended), but was varying the talks ( ie - Chris Myers from
Grangenet gave a talk on ipv6 as well as what the grangenet project was
about. Other times, Tridge was happy to step in at short notice and give
some talks about Samba and swat).

Andrew Pollock, who coordinated CLUG and PSIG before me had some systems
for getting people, but again, I can remember times he was emailing
around the day of the meeting looking for speakers, and other times
meetings were organised months out in advance.

I'm certainly not saying I'm an organisational superman, but it really
comes down the the people involved and the time they have available to
do the stuff, as well their contacts within the community, and the time
they can commit to it. I don't think splitting the talk organizer and MC
positions is such a good idea, nor do I think that having the talk
organiser as someone who quite specifically does not attend meetings is
such a good idea. We did have some luck with guest speakers being
introduced by the person who invited them to speak, and people can
always feel free to ask to introduce someone, but again, YMMV.

Oh, and Paul: No Backsies when I return to Canberra :)

Just my 2cents worth, and my one email for this thread as per "bob's law" :)

--
--==--
Steve Walsh