[clug] really customisable system monitor

David Schoen neerolyte at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 07:01:38 MDT 2009

2009/9/30 Kim Holburn <kim.holburn at gmail.com>:
> General purpose script for gkrellm:
>
> http://www.lasr.cs.ucla.edu/geoff/gkrellm-fchart.html

Not quite. My main requirements are:
- it can sit unobtrusively in tray (there are ways of munging gkrellm
to do this, but it's really not designed with that in mind)
- I can configure polling times for individual scripts (fchart sort of
meets that)
- it will notify me if anything breaks away from thresholds (libnotify
and a change in tray icon status ideally)
- scripts will be run in the gnome environment (once again fchart only
sort of meets this as the scripts have to be launched manually)

The problem with gkrellm is that I would have to integrate chunks of
it (the stuff to run the fchart scripts in the background) in to my
regular config, this means that when (not if) I decide to drop it on
another box I've got a whole bunch of stuff to move around to get it
all working again, rather than one directory and a single executable
file to start on login. Also with this solution I would have to make
sure that every single script is stable and will never fail, I'd
rather rely on a single piece of common code to check everything
(including exit status and output arriving at STDERR). That way it
only has to be gotten right once, not in every monitor script and if
the common code fails it should be obvious because all monitoring
stops, not just that one backup script checker I haven't checked in 2
months.

Thanks anyway,
Dave