[clug] EXT4 Reliability [SEC=PERSONAL]

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Wed Sep 30 02:49:13 MDT 2009

jm <jeffm at ghostgun.com> wrote:
> Of course, as we're talking about archiving the question is "What
> will be readable in X years?". I'm guessing that ISO9660 will be the
> best bet as it's formalised and written down somewhere.

That formalised standard isn't meaningful when it describes an ideal
that nobody really meets.

I'll take an actual, working reference implementation (eg, ext3) over a
theoretical standard any day.

I think Alex has it right though: Keep your data online and alive and
migrate it to new devices periodically. Don't archive data on a shelf or
you'll never see it again. Unless it's printed on paper with inert inks
or chiselled in stone, it's going to die soon.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au