[clug] EXT4 Reliability

Hugh Fisher hugh.fisher at anu.edu.au
Wed Sep 30 01:01:05 MDT 2009

Mike Carden wrote:

> I think Alex was suggesting that if you were a pre-OSX Apple user, you
> might never imagine that the eminently sensible practice of having a
> dedicated metadata spot in your file system might ever go away.

And they haven't. Apple have deprecated the original resource
fork API, but the resource forks are kept around as extended
attributes in MacOS X. (If they weren't, MacOS 9 and earlier
apps couldn't run.)

Even in the Classic MacOS days, not many people liked resource
forks for document/data files, because they invariably got lost
when transferring files to other computers, and the Internet
more or less killed them off altogether. (A fair number of apps
would still store stuff like window size or current selection
when last opened in the resource fork, but absolutely nothing
that users might miss.)

	cheers,
	Hugh