[clug] EXT4 Reliability [SEC=PERSONAL]

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Tue Sep 29 18:03:55 MDT 2009

Of course, as we're talking about archiving the question is "What will
be readable in X years?". I'm guessing that ISO9660 will be the best bet
as it's formalised and written down somewhere. So, assuming that the
medium in question survives the years you should be able to read it back
(given a suitable device). The worst case is that someone would have to
reimplement the filesystem. Wheather you can still read the disk,
CD/DVD, or whatever to the point were a filesystem becomes important is
another matter. What's the weakest point in the chain:

  medium -> device -> filesystem -> file format -> human viewable

Jeff.