[clug] Non-Job - CLUG monthly meeting organiser person required

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Sep 29 16:34:38 MDT 2009

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Paul Wayper wrote:

> * Seek out and engage speakers for upcoming meetings.
> * Get their abstracts and enter them into the highly sophisticated
> LUG-in-a-box system we use to organise meetings.
> * On the night:
>  * Get the meeting going, make any announcements necessary and introduce the
> speaker.
>  * Half an hour before the speaker will finish, take orders for the dinner
> (pizza) and order it.  Collect the money.
>  * Thank the speaker when they've finished.
>  * Get the dinner, either by delivery or by someone going and picking it up.
> Arrange for drinks to be available.  Tidy up afterwards.

Hi all.  This seems like quite a lot for one volunteer position.

In the LUGs I've been involved with these tasks are seperated:

Talks Coordinator: Organises talks and makes sure equipment will be at the
meeting.  The talks coordinator is explicitely not required to attend
meetings.  Even if present they don't have any responsibilities at the
meeting.

MC: Makes announcements, greets & introduces the speaker and deals with
any last minute issues.

We have never had a position to deal with food but this would seem to a
suitable 3rd position.

Cheers,

Rob