[clug] Non-Job - CLUG monthly meeting organiser person required

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Tue Sep 29 06:56:19 MDT 2009

Hi all,

After Chris Smart has been called away on other business, I don't have anyone
else to organise the regular monthly meetings.  I really don't have enough
time to take this on, and my initial personal contacts and asking at the
meeting have failed.  So I'd like to ask someone to volunteer to do this.  The
requirements:

* Seek out and engage speakers for upcoming meetings.
* Get their abstracts and enter them into the highly sophisticated
LUG-in-a-box system we use to organise meetings.
* On the night:
   * Get the meeting going, make any announcements necessary and introduce the
speaker.
   * Half an hour before the speaker will finish, take orders for the dinner
(pizza) and order it.  Collect the money.
   * Thank the speaker when they've finished.
   * Get the dinner, either by delivery or by someone going and picking it up.
  Arrange for drinks to be available.  Tidy up afterwards.

The ideal person for the job will be well connected in the Linux and Open
Source scene in Canberra, be an excellent public speaker, and be motivated to
get top-quality talks that satisfy the interests of the CLUG membership.

More realistically, the applicant will have a pulse, some kind of organising
ability, and know people and stuff.  I really need someone to do this, and I
really don't want the situation where everyone hopes that someone else will
volunteer.  I'm more than happy to help you learn how to do the job, and to
help get a few things started, but I can barely get the Programming SIG
organised as it is.  Please get in contact by any means at your disposal.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

P.S. Note that while it might sound like the most challenging part of this job
is to find speakers, the most documentation is given to organising pizza.