[clug] How to Determine which Wireless Lan is connected

Jeff smee.heee at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 04:47:27 MDT 2009

G'Day CLUGers,

Hopefully something simple for the list.

I am trying to determine a way from the command line to tell what wireless LAN I am connected to.

I am sure I am missing something simple, but can not find anything in /proc, nor anything reliable in /var/log.

Essentially I am trying to determine which ESSID I am connected to.

Example:
ESSID 1 - BettyWLan
ESSID 2 - BarneyWLan

if connected to BettyWLan do
  BettyWLan something
elsif BarneyWLan do
  BarneyWLan something
else
  Something else
fi

I am fine, at the moment, with the selection statement, but can not find a reliable and simple way to determine what Wireless LAN I am connected to.
Also, if it is possible, for this to work on hidden ESSID's as well, that would be great.

I don't think it should matter, but just in case, I'm using Wicd for the network connection, and Xubuntu 9.04.

Cheers for any pointers,

--
Jeff <smeeheee at gmail.com>