[clug] EXT4 Reliability

Francis Whittle fudje at grapevine.net.au
Tue Sep 29 04:38:26 MDT 2009

Don't see how what filesystem you use will affect recovery from bad
sectors (bad sectors are bad sectors, it's disk geometry not virtual
allocation blocks), but EXT4 is at least more accessible than NTFS.

That said, I'll tend to go for ext2 for backup media, for portability.
If incremental backups and media reuse aren't factors, I'll even go as
far as ISO9660 images (with rockridge), which doesn't even have metadata
updates - for anything.