[clug] Slackware Install Talk: The Morning After

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Thu Sep 24 23:24:37 MDT 2009

On 25/09/2009, at 11:20 , Jessica Fryer wrote:

> Trying to get an IP address.  Sorry little lappy but there's no wifi
> here in
> Deakin.  You'll have to wait until this evening.  Fingers crossed!

I'm pretty sure that networking will become a lot easier if you use
Avahi. This takes care of getting a DHCP address if a server can be
found, or choosing a 169.x.x.x address when there is no DHCP server.
There's more to Avahi (and ZeroConf) than that, but address allocation
is the important part.

> It's asking me for my username and password in Greek.  OK this is
> supposed
> to be an option, not the default.  Wondering how to change that login
> screen.

My guess is that there will be an option to sort languages in order of
preference. I will poke around a bit at home tonight and see if the
mechanism won't reveal itself.

> Choose a look for my KDE.  YUMMO I L♡ve this kind of eye-candy
> stuff! I've
> chosen Keramik because I like a bit of colour.  Next.

Is Keramic the default manager for Ubuntu? The one with the rounded
corners and the very plain window borders? It's my favourite because
it's the most reminiscent of Mac OS. Yes I know. We all have our vices.

Alex

PS: I have Ubuntu on my Medion laptop - it's a core 2 duo system with
802.11g (or n, according to the label on the box). Everything "just
worked" for me, and I credit the networking simplicity to the presence
of Avahi (I don't have to configure anything, it just works).