[clug] Slackware Install Talk: The Morning After

Jessica Fryer jessicanumber at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 19:20:16 MDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Alex Satrapa <alexsatrapa at mac.com> wrote:

> I big thank you to Dr. Bates for sharing her Slackware experience with us!

Me too! I now share with you all the benefit of my first Slackware Linux
bootup experience.  It's peppered with questions so feel free to chime in
with any ideas about the things mentioned below.

Enter power-on password (everyone should have one)

It's asking me weird questions that are suspiciously reminiscent of the
install procedure.  Who left the install CD in the drive?

Remove CD.  It's labelled "SLACKWARE 12.2."  Reboot.

Power-on password

Oooh shiny! It says "slackware linux" in pretty white lettering.  Select an
OS to install. There's only one option: Linux.  So why is this a question?
Press enter.

Two funny-looking penguins.  Yup they still have that white aura.  Lots of
stuff loading up in text.

Trying to get an IP address.  Sorry little lappy but there's no wifi here in
Deakin.  You'll have to wait until this evening.  Fingers crossed!

KDE login screen.  Welcome to the Musicbox!

It's asking me for my username and password in Greek.  OK this is supposed
to be an option, not the default.  Wondering how to change that login
screen.

Put in username.  No password.  Enter.  Someone remind me to set a password
on that user.

Now it's speaking English again and wants me to personalise KDE.  It's
asking me for my country (Australia) and language (British English).  Click
next.

Select system behaviour.  OK took me a moment but it's asking me how the
mouse should affect the interface.  I've picked UNIX (CDE style where focus
follows the cursor).  It might bother me (it took a lot of getting used to
many years ago when I had a Solaris account) but I'll try it for now.  No
keyboard gestures as I'm not motion impaired and will probably set them off
accidentally.

Now it's asking me to select how much eye candy based on how fast my
processor is.  I'm ignoring the slider and going through the menu instead
keeping pictures and file previews because I like them but turning off
animated stuff like fading menus which just drive me bonkers becasue they
just make the window or menu take longer to appear! I'm also turning off
large icons because I don't think they look nice.  I've also turned off a
sound theme. I don't need random sounds obnoxiously announcing to the world
that I've got KDE.  Next.

Choose a look for my KDE.  YUMMO I L♡ve this kind of eye-candy stuff! I've
chosen Keramik because I like a bit of colour.  Next.

I'm finished!

KDE is doing its thing.

I've got a KTip.  And MUSIC! Geez didn't I just disable that? I wonder what
I just turned off! And where the sound settings are.

Do not show me any more KTips.  Close.

Now I've got 4 desktops. I used to have a plugin for Gnome that would map
certain applications to open in certain desktops.  Then I had my login
script open all those programs so that when I went to say desktop 4 I had my
browser, in desktop 3 I had my games and so on.  I'm wondering how KDE does
that.

I'm really not hating Slackware (and I'm loving the fact that Denise gave me
back my ♡BELOVED♡ Pre-KDE4 interface) although I'm yet to figure out how my
networking problems will be resolved.  Where did we get up to last night?

If you can't see the unicode those are hearts. Which is how I feel about
seeing KDE 3.5 on my laptop.

As for the lack of package management that comes with Slackware... Well
after seeing a system load up quite nicely withoutt them I'm starting to
question my assumption that "RPM IS THE BEST" and already hard at work
reading up on the various advantages offered by deb, rpm and portage.  Any
suggestions on reading materials would be appreciated!

Cheers
Jessica