[clug] CMS usage in Canberra

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Thu Sep 24 16:40:58 MDT 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Michael Manning wrote:

> My only comment on my source matrix is that their license was not full GPL

That's a bit of a worry, really.  As I understand it, the GPL licence
itself is Copyright by the FSF - you can see the Copyright notice at the
top of the typical COPYING / LICENCE file.  You'd have to be careful
creating something "not full GPL" by copying that licence file :-)

> last time I looked and required all code be resubmitted back to them within
> 30days of modification and they in some way still owned it? Don't quote me
> but just didn't feel quite right at the time.

Copyright assignment isn't an unusual requirement when giving source code
back to a project, of course - MySQL is an example of that model IIRC.
The 30-day thing is novel, though!

I should mention the CMS software I helped write for many years, the
"WebND" software.  Unsupported and buggy - but I still like it.  Source
available under the Affero GPL(v2) (IIRC).  The "Source" link from my
webpages at http://e0.net.au/~pb/ gets you the source, in theory.

> Michael Manning

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.