[clug] Repairing bootloader

Rod Peters rpeters at pcug.org.au
Thu Sep 24 06:01:59 MDT 2009

On Thursday 24 September 2009 14:25:16 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> [clug] Repairing bootloader
>  From: "BAXTER,Adam" <adam.baxter at deewr.gov.au>
>  To: "'linux at lists.samba.org'" <linux at lists.samba.org>
>
> Hi guys,
> I know I've left this til the last minute, but I'd like to have my
> dual-boot machine back up and running before the LUG so I can SSH into it
> for some troubleshooting by the gurus.
>
> I recently installed Windows 7 (yeah yeah, I know), and of course the
> installer clobbered GRUB. Is there an easy way to fix this from a
> LiveCD/USB? Every time I try I seem to destroy Windows' bootloader too.
>
> My setup is this:
> Sda1 is Windows
> Sda2 is Ubuntu
>
> I'm assuming the MBR is on /dev/sda, Windows bootloader (bootmgr/ntldr) is
> on /dev/sda1 and GRUB needs to be installed on /dev/sda.
>
> What's the best way to do this?
>
> --Adam

openSUSE has an option in it admin tool "Yast" to install a "generic
bootloader" in the MBR.  I've used this on a disk layout similar to yours to
restore booting of XP on the sda drive after it has been lost.  However, if
you have actually clobbered the Windows boot file in sda1 then I assume that
you would need to restore that as well and from Windows DVD.  (I know nothing
about Win 7)

The openSUSE CD includes a small, console-based rescue module - hower Yast is
not included in it.  You could try booting an openSUSE LiveCD to KDE or Gnome
and starting Yast from there.

Rod