[clug] Distributed Administration

Michael Manning michael at michaelmanning.org
Thu Sep 24 02:46:15 MDT 2009

Howdy,

Two time short suggestions might be Kickstart/anacoda (Redhat based) and
AutoYast (OpenSuse based) for auto pre-configured installs.

Then management, I am not sure on?

Cheers,
Michael Manning
http://www.michaelmanning.org/
http://twitter.com/mmanning13

On Sep 24, 2009 6:27 PM, "Alex Satrapa" <alexsatrapa at mac.com> wrote:

Dear list,

In addition to looking for virtual machine host software, I'd like to hear
about your favourite way of managing multiple (ie: 2 or more) hosts in a
collection.

In my specific case, I want to be able to take a bare bones (Insert
Distribution Here) install and automagically configure it to:
 - be running avahi (the mdns part at least),
 - have MySQL 5 (or PostgreSQL, or whatever) installed,
 - have my custom /etc/resolv.conf,
 - configure the avahi to advertise SSH, other services
 - install some documentation from a web site, and
 - install and configure a firewall

Some ideas I've seen are:
 - Cluster SSH (http://sourceforge.net/projects/clusterssh/) *
 - Puppet      (http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/)
 - Chef        (http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Home)

Thanks in advance,
Alex

* Cluster SSH gives me a cold sweat. It just replicates keystrokes to
multiple terminals. How could anything possibly go wrong?