[clug] Virtual Machines?

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Thu Sep 24 02:01:55 MDT 2009

On 24/09/2009, at 16:58 , steve jenkin wrote:

> Isn't there a standard for Virtual M/c images that all the major
> vendors
> support??

Open Virtualisation Format looks nice! Thanks for the heads-up.

> No idea if XEN & hyper-V count/support it.
> Nor freebies like SUN Virtual Box.

Irony is: VMware claims to be a mover and shaker in the OVF world. But
they don't support OVF on VMWare Fusion at this time. The best
solution so far is to run ovftool from a Linux virtual machine, using
a shared drive. I'd have thought that they'd implement something like
"File -> Import OVF..." and "File -> Export OVF..." to make it really
really easy.

Virtualbox apparently supports OVF out of the box. Pardon the pun.

The long and the short of it is: I don't yet have any experience in
moving virtual machines between anything other than VMware ESX on
Linux and VMware Fusion on Mac OS X. But I do now have VirtualBox for
Windows, Linux and Mac OS X sitting in my pocket!

Alex