[clug] Repairing bootloader

BAXTER,Adam adam.baxter at deewr.gov.au
Wed Sep 23 18:18:50 MDT 2009

Hi guys,
I know I've left this til the last minute, but I'd like to have my dual-boot machine back up and running before the LUG so I can SSH into it for some troubleshooting by the gurus.

I recently installed Windows 7 (yeah yeah, I know), and of course the installer clobbered GRUB. Is there an easy way to fix this from a LiveCD/USB? Every time I try I seem to destroy Windows' bootloader too.

My setup is this:
Sda1 is Windows
Sda2 is Ubuntu

I'm assuming the MBR is on /dev/sda, Windows bootloader (bootmgr/ntldr) is on /dev/sda1 and GRUB needs to be installed on /dev/sda.

What's the best way to do this?

--Adam
Notice:

The information contained in this email message and any attached files may be confidential information, and may also be the subject of legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient any use, disclosure or copying of this email is unauthorised. If you received this email in error, please notify the DEEWR Service Desk by calling (02) 6240 9999 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.