[clug] Databases, replication, HAL, etc?

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Sep 23 11:23:13 MDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 04:09:15PM +1000, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> On 22/09/2009, at 16:07 , Steve Walsh wrote:
>
>> I'm happy to blog or doco the steps if people want or are interested.
>
> Anything you can do to show the trip from empty box to replication up
> and running would be nice!

The hardest thing about Slony I think are the concepts and the myriad
of scripts around it. It's not a replication system that just
replicates one DB to other. You can specify which tables you want
replicated, multiple servers can replicate to eachother and other fun
stuff. This makes configuration annoying.

In my current setup we have a primary and secondary environment and we
only replicate the configuration information. Configuring this is a
pain, and I actually wrote a custom script to configure slony.

I found the documentation at http://www.slony.info/documentation/ to be
reasonably easy to follow by cutting and pasting. But to understand it
you need to run it and you play around a bit.

Most important tip: all those scripts you see, most of them are not
necessary. Once setup, you can control the cluster using SQL if you
like.

Unfortunatly, not in a position to give a talk.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/