[clug] IEEE-USA, IEEE and open source software

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Tue Sep 22 19:00:32 MDT 2009

On 23/09/2009, at 09:14 , Paul C. Leopardi wrote:

> While IEEE-USA supports software patents to the extent that they
> have joined
> in this amicus brief, I find that I can no longer remain a member of
> the IEEE
> and I will urge all other members who support the creation of new
> mathematical ideas and new open source software to also leave IEEE.

If all the people that didn't support an unpopular view abandoned the
organisation, only the people who support the unpopular view would be
left, wouldn't they?

What you need to do is take action internally: protest this stance by
IEEE-USA. Talk to your network within IEEE and let them know of your
opinion. Write letters to the editor of the newsletter/magazine. Take
some form of action.

But before you take some action make sure you have discussed your
opinion, especially with people who disagree with you. There's no
point taking action because "something bad is happening." You need to
understand what it is that is bad, how it is happening, and what steps
can be taken to stop it from happening.

In the case of software patents, you need to have an opinion on:
(a) Are patents useful (in the altruistic sense, yes. In any manner
that can be actually implemented, no)
(b) Is software mathematics, or a process? (I stand firmly on the
"process" side of the line)
(c) Should people be allowed to patent processes?

And remember: all it takes for evil to prevail is for enough good
people to do nothing.

Alex