[clug] Databases, replication, HAL, etc?

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Mon Sep 21 23:33:43 MDT 2009

Just wondering if there are enough people in Canberra/on list to make
it worth having a hackfest to experiment with MySQL/PostgreSQL
replication? The PostgreSQL site lists a Canberra PostgreSQL user's
group but doesn't provide any further information (http://pugs.postgresql.org/cbrpug
), nothing about a MySQL group that I can find.

The main aim of such an event would be for attendees to share their
experience if they've done this kind of thing before, and for everyone
else to have the opportunity to actually build a replication
environment and see how many ways replication can fail (and ideally,
fail-over, then subsequently recover).

So... who has experience with MySQL/PostgreSQL replication to share,
or would be interested in learning how this stuff works?

I'm not even sure what format the gathering would be - all turn up on
the night and just fiddle from scratch? Everyone work on a canned
presentation before the event and do a show-and-tell?

Perhaps I could prepare a presentation of what I find for the October
meeting if nothing else more interesting comes up, but I'm really keen
to make it a hands-on hacking session, with a few people showing how
they approached replication. My experience so far is managing a single
PostgreSQL instance, nothing more about MySQL than its spelling, and
nothing at all about the various replication models or implementations.

Alex