[clug] iPhone Apps, GPS and FOSS

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Mon Sep 21 00:43:46 MDT 2009

On 21/09/2009, at 14:19 , steve jenkin wrote:

> http://icloseby.com/what_is_ifob.html

My guess would be that Grindr simply updates the central web site with
location information while the application is open, where iFob uses
Bonjour (aka ZeroConf service discovery).

I don't know of any application specifically suited to "Geek cruising"
at a FOSS conference, but I'd suspect that having an IM that is
Bonjour/ZeroConf enabled that can broadcast your status (eg: "Looking
for PostgreSQL D&M") would be a step in the right direction :)

Or, you could just keep your eyes open for "Birds of a Feather"
gatherings that you're interested in and go to them. Extremely low
tech, and nowhere near instant gratification, but it's a tried and
proven technique :)

Alex