[clug] Linux recipe management

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Sun Sep 20 22:20:12 MDT 2009

Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Alex Satrapa <alexsatrapa at mac.com> writes:
>
>> On 21/09/2009, at 11:13 , Daniel Pittman wrote:
>>

>>> Oh, and owning the data: colour me paranoid, but I don't want to depend on a
>>> third party to maintain my own recipe data, since I don't fancy paying extra
>>> for it, and most of these sites won't let me pay for them to care anyhow...
>>>
>> For those who missed the '90s, a classic example of this problem was CDDB.
>>

> ...but if you did miss that, don't worry: one day soon Facebook, or MySpace,
> or Twitter, or Google, or Yahoo!, or someone else will follow the same path,
> and you will also learn why owning your data is important. ;)

It always amuses me that everyone seems to be willing to give away
information about themselves (private data), but try to give away
software (FOSS) and your quite often regarded with suspicion  :-). I
thought that in general transparency in the processing was more
important than transparency of data.

Jeff.