[clug] Heart rate monitors and GNU/Linux

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Sun Sep 20 19:02:10 MDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:58:00AM +1000, BAXTER,Adam wrote:
> Yikes!
> That's not cheap.
> https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=349&ra=true

It is actually rather cheap. Considering it has a pretty good HRM and a GPS
in it. The Polar 710 HRM costs over AUD $500 and does not have a GPS and
does not work with linux. Polar does have somewhat better trainingn software
than Gamrin, but as non of  the software from either mob works with linux I
got the linux compatible device.

I also tend to buy GPS stuff in Australia from Johnny Appleseed GPS who are
prtetty well priced http://www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_forerunner305.aspx

> I'm guessing the GPS part is easy to do in Linux - coincidentally if
> anyone has a GPS enabled Symbian phone I use Symarctic extGPS to expose
> the GPS device to Linux.  Notice:

Indeed it is all just data so long as you can get the data off the device.

	See You
	    Steve

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
i think you're the least fucked up person i've ever met