[clug] Linux recipe management

Felix Karpfen felix at spodzone.org.uk
Sun Sep 20 18:08:03 MDT 2009

BAXTER,Adam wrote:
> Time for a CLUG project?
> I prefer PHP for these kinds of things, but I know some people don't like it.

Perhaps my contribution was too cryptic (especially as both PHP and SQL
are over my computing horizons).

I have been led to believe that it is relatively straightforward to
create alternative formats for a database; transferring the database
content from one format to a different one is another story.

The "fooddownunder" database is constructed with Microsoft tools; On the
other hand, http://www.cuisine.at/ (bilingual - English/German),
probably uses SQL.

Both have been accessible for many years; each offers a choice of some
200 000 recipes.

I find it difficult to believe that information on shopping lists and
nutritional content - missing from the above examples - would warrant
the labour involved in creating yet another "recipe book".

But I may be mistaken.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen