[clug] [OT] Capturing email for a testing environment

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at me.com
Thu Sep 17 00:48:43 MDT 2009

I've written a tiny article on using Postfix to capture emails sent
from an application and redirect them to a single external email
account: http://manicdee.livejournal.com/61047.html - next on my list
of things to do is write a filter to insert "[QA]" or something
similar into the subject line of every email so that my customers know
that this email came from the QA environment rather than the live one.

The aim here is to have the (Django) application deployed in an
environment that is as close to "Production" as possible, without
causing problems in the real world. I don't want to load special
Python classes to do funky stuff in the application itself, because
that will (by definition) alter the behaviour of the application.

I'd love it if folks could have a look and come up with recipes for
doing the same sort of thing using something that is not Postfix. I'd
also appreciate any pointers to content-mungers that already exist to
do the subject-line munging that I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Alex