[clug] Linux on new school computers [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Edward Lang edlang at edlang.org
Wed Sep 16 02:52:11 MDT 2009

Hi,

Firstly, digging up an old thread as it's what matched searching for
"art school" in my CLUG mailbox.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 3:40 PM,  <tridge at samba.org> wrote:
>  > Added. Keep it coming. I'll take submissions until midday tomorrow
>  > (20071130T1200) and try to post a rough list by 1300 for review.
>
> In a similar way, gimp is a great tool for people studying
> photography, and google earth would be a magnificent tool for
> geography classes.

For a bit of fun next year, I'm considering applying to enroll in a
Bachelor of Visual Arts at the ANU School of Art next year. One of the
first year units is "Core Computing Studies" [0]. I'm assuming, based
on the computers at the SoA, it's fairly Adobe-centric. Is anyone
aware of developments / advancements in the use of FOSS in local,
non-CSIT/Engineering education? In particular, touchy-feely graphics
stuff...

I currently use one non-free application for scanning my film:
VueScan. It was well worth the money. None of the FOSS tools compare
to it.

[0] http://studyat.anu.edu.au/courses/ARTV1032;details.html

Regards,

Edward.