[clug] Scope of list

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 00:56:52 MDT 2009

I don't see any value in limiting CLUG list participation along
geographic lines. In fact I would advocate the opposite - the more the
merrier.

The nature of geography is such that in general, only people in the
physical vicinity of Canberra will get to attend CLUG meetings. The
nature of the internet is such that anyone in the vicinity of a mail
client can get to the mailing list.

I am in favour of limiting trolling, gratuitous commercial advertising
and spam in general. I think that these things are not currently a
problem. I'm not in favour of limiting participation in polite list
discussions in any way.

If the issue is one of email traffic volume, then I think that there
are better solutions available than reducing the size of the firehose.

Anyone who has experienced a 'Mad Friday' on the mtb-oz mailing list
would consider the CLUG list at its most prolific to be a tiny
near-invisible trickle.

--
MC