[clug] Scope of list

Nemo clug at nemo.house.cx
Tue Sep 15 22:29:52 MDT 2009

> Average posts/subject: 5.109244
>
>  137 [clug] OT: Protesting the proposed clean feed?
>   67 [clug] Google compared to latest Microsoft evilness
>   57 [clug] Open Source Software's Dirty Little Secret

This is my favourite bit. The Subject: with the most posts (more than
the next two combined!) is not only labelled "OT", but given the subject
line alone, is arguably the most *ON* topic Subject lines here
(based on the thought that protest = local = canberra = scope of list)

>   53 [clug] Why isn't Java popular on the Linux Desktop?
>   45 [clug] Command of the Hour
>   43 [clug] Internet banking and browser compatibility
>   41 [clug] Looking for a netbook
>   40 [clug] Ubuntu encrypted file systems
>   39 [clug] The 1st Internet Tax is here.
>
> So, lots of discussion, and apparently I am either very verbose, or a
> reasonably significant contributor to the discussions over that time.
>
> Make of those stats what you will; about all they say to me is that I am
> active, but not exceptionally so in the top ten posters, that the majority of
> discussion on the list is brief, and that "non-technical" topics tend to
> generate long discussions more than technical topics do.

That's not too unexpected. Technical questions get logical objective
answers that either work or don't. If they work, then apart from a few
variants, discussion is over. If they don't, return to start. Either
way, they're short, and lack the subjectivity that less technical bring
to the fore.

.../Nemo  (a decade of Canberra clug, but now in brisbane. Have I
exceeded my one-remote-post-per-thread/month yet? :)