[clug] [wet] Re: Scope of list (was An alternate place for longer, meandering threads?)

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Tue Sep 15 21:55:33 MDT 2009

On 16/09/2009, at 12:10 , Robert Edwards wrote:

> CLUG is the Canberra Linux Users Group, by which _I_ understand:
> - Canberra and surrounding region (Southern NSW)

Don't forget the ex-pat Canberrans who are now living in civilisations
far afield such as Sydney or Perth! I hear some of us have even lived
in the USA for a while!

I don't think limiting the subscriber base artificially is going to
help prevent unsubscription rates as much as teaching people to be
polite in their public discussions. Such as, for example, not naming
and shaming people when a simple statement along the lines of, "I was
disappointed by a participant who looked around the room and quipped,
'No women here! guess we don't have to watch our language'" would have
carried the same message. The offender can take their own time about
realising the comment was about them. Everyone else can be aware that
there was this *behaviour* as opposed to this *person* who was causing
discomfort, and in the meantime we're not left in the awkward
situation of people airing their dirty laundry in public.

Along with exhorting people to "check their privilege", it might also
be worth reminding people that other people have feelings to deal
with. Getting along with other people is harder than getting Windows
and Linux to share files, folks.

As far as the different user groups go CLUG meetings are from all
reports that I've heard, by far the worst when it comes to opinionated
arguments by people who will not admit that they have made mistakes,
or have an opinion which doesn't have basis in real-world facts (as
opposed to Truth, which is entirely subjective). This is quite
separate from the long-winded discussions that some people like to
have when playing philosophical games.

So here we are, Canberrans, the worst drivers in the country (short of
Western Australians' collective fear of merging lanes), with the
strongest opinions and political awareness of any society in the
nation, and some of the blokes will have graduated from University
having never realised that women actually existed outside of Ralph
magazine or the K-Mart catalogue.

We have plenty of issues to discuss, regardless of where we are
currently located. Some of them are related to Linux and the greater
community of Linux users. Other issues are not related at all. If
someone outside the greater Canberra enclave has an opinion on these
issues, I have no qualms about them expressing it - especially if they
can help uncover the uncomfortable Truths that we have come to accept
in our big country town culture.

We can't solve social problems (threadnoughts on sexism as the prime
example) through technical means. Social problems require people to
speak up and say, "hey, that behaviour is not acceptable." Whether
it's sexism or <common enemy>-bashing, it's just not cricket. However,
let's not focus on what kind of behaviours are not acceptable on this
list. Rather let us take the lead from those projects whose
communities we admire, and encourage the behaviours that are desired.

If someone offends you, take it up with them in private - or at worst
describe the offensive behaviour or opinion on the list, leaving names
out to separate the offensive behaviour from the person. In the
meantime, remember to thank people (publicly) for the help they give
you. Shame privately, praise publicly.

Apologies for the essay.

Alex