[clug] Scope of list

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Tue Sep 15 21:44:46 MDT 2009

Robert,

Robert Edwards wrote:
> Thanks Daniel,
>
> Time to defend my thought...
Indeed.
> If I wanted to know about issues common to Canberra and Melbourne, I
> could read the Linux Australia mailing list. That is (partly) what it
> is there for. Or I'd look up the archives of the LUV lists. This is the
> CLUG list and it is called the CLUG list for a reason.
Let's try Adelaide - when's the next LinuxSA meeting?
> Jacinta, on the other hand, has presented, with Paul (not that that is
> relevant...), at CLUG-supported PERL user meetings here in Canberra
> (which I have attended) and so _I_ would definitely consider her as
> someone welcome to contribute to CLUG discussions, but, again, keeping
> in mind that it is the CLUG list (not Linux Australia etc.).
So there are exceptions? How about people who've contributed quite a lot
to another LUG, helped organise InstallFests (for Linux), been an LCA
organiser, was in the background when the idea of forming OSIA was
touted, helped build a distribution network when broadband didn't really
exist who happen to have also lurked on the CLUG mailing list for, well,
somewhere between 8 and 10 years?

Oh, btw, I have an Australian Passport if that matters.
> What I would be more interested in
> is how many of them are from Canberra and the surrounding region, but
> that is hard/impossible to determine from their e-mail address alone...
If that's what you were interested in you could have said so without
essentially upsetting those who might be lurking, or those who might
happen to know an answer or two to a question posed by a "real CLUG
member". By jolly, what if no Canberran happens to know the answer to a
question? Are the rest of us meant to, well, shut up?
> Anyways, we need to see what others come up with. CLUG has no leadership
> as such, so this is just my own thought on the issue.
CLUG is a community of people, many of whom share some form of
association with Canberra and its surrounds. Others, like myself, might
consider themselves part of a greater Linux community and might
therefore invite themselves in to lurk (or otherwise talk) [and yes, I'm
on Humbug, SLUG, Plug and various other user group lists too].

Hmmm, let's see.

On your definition, UNLESS Linus has presented at a CLUG supported user
meeting IN CANBERRA, I suppose he shouldn't be subscribed either?

Oh, I make myself laugh.

DSL