[clug] Mobile broadband for linux?

Francis Whittle fudje at grapevine.net.au
Tue Sep 15 21:39:50 MDT 2009

This thing that does this on Ubuntu is Network Manager, which is
supposedly desktop agnostic....

The package you want for KDE4 is ‘network-manager-kde’ (in Ubuntu and
Debian at least, but I think it applies to SuSE too - another possible
is ‘knetworkmanager’), so check if that's installed.  I can't think of
any reason why it wouldn't come with Kubuntu or OpenSuSE though
(certainly I'd expect it to be in Kubuntu).  The actual auto-detection
of modems part is not linked to the desktop but udev (previously HAL),
but you'll need to front-end to set things up, which still feels a bit
stupid to me.

That said I just looked at the KDE interface for network manager, and
not to put to fine a point on it, it looks horrid (overly complex and
unpolished).  You might be better off installing the Gnome front-end
(‘network-manager-gnome’, surprise, surprise) and dealing with a bit of
cross-desktop theme-related ugliness;  It shouldn't pull in any
libraries you're not already using for, say, Firefox, or GIMP, except
maybe libnotify.

Cheers,
Francis