[clug] Mobile broadband for linux?

Colin Roe croe at pcug.org.au
Tue Sep 15 21:14:07 MDT 2009

Hi List

As we're onto using mobile phones as broadband modems under Linux, I can also
confirm that the Samsung A411NextG phone 'just works' with Ubuntu 9.04 (and
reportedly also with the latest Mint too).

Plug it into the USB and immediately a New Mobile Broadband Connection screen
appears leading to, inter alia, preconfigured setup options for various
Telstra services. All you need to know is which one to select and you're on
the net - albeit expensively. For NextG I chose the Telstra (UMTS HSDPA)
option.

Frustratingly, this 'just works' solution doesn't seem to be in Kubuntu 9.04
or the KDE4 variants of openSuSE 11.1 or 11.2 Milestone 7. Nor did it come up
in a Gnome install of 11.2 Milestone 7 which I find intriguing.

Is there any simple way to install all necessary parts of the system
that  'just works' in Ubuntu into a KDE-based operating system?

Or am I stuck with cobbling the config data from Ubuntu 9.04's
System/Preferences/Network Connections/Mobile Broadband into the Network
Manager in KDE? So far that alone hasn't been sufficient.

Colin Roe

--
Colin Roe - Torrens ACT Australia
Australians in the Boer War (Oz-Boer) Database