[clug] Scope of list

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Sep 15 20:41:17 MDT 2009

Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> writes:

> A thought of mine (so I'll fork a new thread...):
>
> CLUG is the Canberra Linux Users Group, by which _I_ understand:
>  - Canberra and surrounding region (Southern NSW)
>  - Linux and all other FOSS and all aspects thereof
>  - Users, developers, admins, enquirers, beginners, newbies etc.
>  - Group (whatever that means)
>
> So this mailing list should be targetted at people satisfying those
> criteria. Esp. the first one... this list is for people who live in Canberra
> and the surrounding region or who attend CLUG meetings (main meetings,
> PSIGs, Installfests, SFDs etc.). People who have been involved in CLUG in
> the past but are no longer in the Canberra and surrounding region are
> welcome to contribute, but please temper your posts to maybe just one per
> topic, maybe directing us to a similar thread on another mailing list.
>
> Anyone else can listen in.

OK, I will bite: why don't you want people like Jacinta and I, and anyone else
who isn't local, to contribute?  The vast majority of discussion isn't
especially location-limited, and many of the issues are identical between,
say, Melbourne and Canberra?

[...]

> I can say that there are over 650 people on this list, but in the past
> 2 weeks more than twice as many people have unsubscribed as have
> subscribed... this is clearly not sustainable...

Well, my first reaction would be to say "don't mistake a short term market
fluctuation for a long term trend."  What do those figures look like over the
last three months, and the last year?  What happens with a rolling average
over that time?

Regards,
        Daniel

   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.