[clug] What's Your Favourite FOSS Project?

Brendan Jurd direvus at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 05:37:08 MDT 2009

2009/9/15 jm <jeffm at ghostgun.com>:
> What is you favourite FOSS project that your involved in?

Postgres.

> Why is it you favourite project?

I use it every day in both paid work and for personal side-projects.
Postgres is a beautiful piece of software, it really does make MySQL
and MS SQL Server look like jokes.

> What's your involvment? (programming, packaging, testing, documentation,
> etc)

I have contributed code, mostly targetting usability improvements, and
help out with patch review.  But my most significant contributions
have been in helping Postgres improve its process for patch submission
and review.

> How often do you work on the project?

Sometimes I go for long stretches without getting involved at all,
other times it's all I do for a week.

> How many hours do you put in?

Highly variable, as above.

> Do you get compensated for your time? (ie do you paid you lucky bastard or
> otherwise get rewarded directly for you time)

Not officially, although my main client understands how much value we
get out of Postgres, so he doesn't mind giving a little back by
letting me do the ocassional bit of Postgres work "on the clock".

Cheers,
BJ