[clug] What's Your Favourite FOSS Project?

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Tue Sep 15 02:18:04 MDT 2009

jm wrote:
> With this Saturday being Software Freedom Day I thought I'd start a bit
> of an informal survey for the list to give everyone a better idea of
> what's going on out there. Replies to list please.
>
> What is you favourite FOSS project that your involved in?

Not that much now, but I was involved and still follow Linux and gcc.

> Why is it you favourite project?

I started using this software and naturally had an interest is improving it.
I also had a good background in these areas.

> What's your involvment? (programming, packaging, testing, documentation,
> etc)

I did much testing (following the bleeding edge). Worked on some drivers
(a long time ago, scsi tape, joystick, interrupt latency histogram). Contributed
code too.

> How often do you work on the project?

Not that often now but used to be very regular, often daily.

> How many hours do you put in?

Not that much now but it could be a few hours a day and some time a whole
day during weekends.

> Do you get compensated for your time? (ie do you paid you lucky bastard
> or otherwise get rewarded directly for you time)

No.

> Any other comments you'd like to make?

I had other projects that were open-source, or public-domain, where I was
practically the only developer. Personal projects that still were released
and had many takers.

I actually follow a philosophy that separating work from fun is best done
by not allowing any monetary compensation from the latter. Too many people
hide the source (and release binary only) with the delusion that their code
will make them rich. It hardly ever does and it surely stops you from
enjoying the fact that others use (and hopefully appreciate) your handiwork.

> Jeff.

cheers

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)