[clug] An alternate place for longer, meandering threads?

Nemo clug at nemo.house.cx
Mon Sep 14 20:18:59 MDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:46:42AM +1000, Hugh Fisher did utter:
> Alex Satrapa wrote:
>
> >I wonder if people commenting on social aspects could be disciplined
> >enough to insert [social] into the subject?
>
> If so, we'd be the first such group in the history of the Internet.
> <http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html>
>
> Nice idea, but very unlikely to work.

At the risk of trivialising an already long and arguably trivial
thread...

We solved it on alt.fan.douglas-adams with colour codes:

We tag on-topic posts as "[b]" for blue.
Off-topic are brown "[b]".
really off-topic and irrelevant posts are black "[b]"

Unofficially, some people use "[b]" burgandy for 42 sightings...

...and it'd work perfectly, if only people actually stuck with the
scheme, but not only do they rarely use it, but even when they do,
nobody remembered to update the flag when the post drifts off topic...

:)

.../Nemo