[clug] An alternate place for longer, meandering threads?

Alex Satrapa alexsatrapa at mac.com
Mon Sep 14 20:04:21 MDT 2009

On 15/09/2009, at 11:22 , Daniel Pittman wrote:

> This is the most likely place to run into trouble, because there
> isn't a hard
> line that can be drawn between "social" and "not-social" issues.
>
> Not to mention that my eyebrow goes up at the idea that FOSS
> participation is
> a social, rather than, say, political, or sociological, issue.

[social] being shorter to type than [sociological], and having
shortened it, it then becomes applicable to political issues since I'm
inventing a dichotomy of technical vs "social" issues.

aka [social] being a big grab-back of all other issues that are not
technical.

The tag [wet] would shorter still, but it has problems. If we adopted
it, [wet] === "issues relating to the wetware involving this
technology". PySIG, CLUG meetings, technical support requests,
discussion of new technology Y - these are CLUG/technical related.
Gender balance of projects, sexism inherent in the system, age balance
of certain projects - these all seem to me to be candidates for [wet].

It only takes one person replying to the thread to tag it, everyone
else after will inherit the tag by default :)

The only thing that raises a question in my mind is whether the Geek
Girl Dinners are the same "thing" as CLUG meetings, or whether they're
specifically sociological issues since it's a meeting just like the
CLUG meetings, but they're specifically gender-selective in order to
allow women a forum to discuss technical issues without men drooling
on/fawning over/interrupting the participants. To me the GGD are a
sociological item since they exist to address an issue in meatspace.
But then the tag "[wet]" might be taken as offensive:

  From: Lana
  Re:   [wet] Geek Girl Dinner

Doesn't quite work, does it?

So [social] is where I got stuck. Hope that thinking out loud has
helped someone understand where I'm coming from.

Alex