[clug] Playing funny with make..

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Sep 14 01:14:02 MDT 2009

Adam Baxter <voltagex at voltagex.org> writes:

> Use python ;)

Seriously?  I can't imagine why you would bother going beyond a trivial shell
script with a couple of loops if you wanted to write a program to manage this;
it isn't like the structure or dependencies are complex.

On the silly suggestions front, though, install condor[1] and use DAGman to
schedule the job dependencies[2].  That makes it easy to run and retry jobs
appropriately, as well as to distribute the work over multiple machines when
you get sick of waiting on your own machine to do it all.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Personal condor is trivial to deploy, network condor isn't that much
     harder, at least for the vanilla universe.

[2]  Well, I would use a script to generate the job files, and the DAGman
     entries, to get the generation done appropriately, I suspect.

   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.