[clug] Mobile broadband for linux?

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Mon Sep 14 00:28:09 MDT 2009

Martin Schwenke wrote:

>     Chris> Does anyone know whether there any problems using mobile
>     Chris> broadband usb modems on linux?  I note most have connection
>     Chris> manager software for Macs.  i.e. do any have linux
>     Chris> applications in the included software or are they all just
>     Chris> M$ & Mac?
>
>     Chris> Are there any alternate connection managers about to run
>     Chris> under linux?
>
> In Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) "it just works" using Network Manager...  :-)

Yes indeed.  I have Ubuntu 9.04 and a Virgin modem and although it didn't quite
"just work" it was easy enough to get working the first time, and has been
trivial since.

The two changes we needed to make when using the setup wizardy thing was to
select the APN to be VirginBroadband (by default it selected VirginMobile) and
to turn of CHAP in the ticky-box page.  In the case we needed to provide a
username/password combination "guest", "guest" is fine.

I don't know what the chipset of the modem is, but neither did I think it'd
matter much these days.

   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |
  _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'           | contact at perltraining.com.au |
 (il),-''  (li),'  ((!.-'             |   www.perltraining.com.au   |