[clug] An alternate place for longer, meandering threads?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Sep 13 19:24:32 MDT 2009

Lana Brindley <lanabrindley at gmail.com> writes:
> 2009/9/14 Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:28, Nemo <clug at nemo.house.cx> wrote:
>>> One of the joys of CLUG (and why I remain subscribed) is the very wide
>>> range of geek topics that can be discussed and brought up easily by
>>> anyone, without any overdue worry of someone shouting them down with
>>> "not on topic, take it to the appropriate list".
>>
>> +1, I'd do a +10 if I could, we need a gerrymander or something.
>
> +1 from me too.  Do we really have enough traffic on this list to consider
> breaking it up?

At the risk of repeating myself somewhat, yes.  At least, CLUG has at least
the traffic level of LUV, which has two lists (main, and talk), split along
"core focus" and "not core focus" lines.

That works reasonably well; I don't think that trying to split by any more
specific topic is going to work well.  Certainly, it doesn't for LUV, where
the beginners list is the only topic list that sees any significant traffic,
and that doesn't see much.

The "programmers SIG" and related groups are dead as the proverbial dodo.

A split like the proposed "sysadmin", "programmer", etc, groupings also
wouldn't work for me, personally, because my role at work covers both systems
administration and programming, and often the interface between the two.
Splitting on those lines would make it harder for me to discuss technical
issues that arise there.

Anyway, if a split happens — and I am, personally, pretty indifferent to the
idea, on balance — I would strongly suggest splitting along the main cut of
the LUV lines.

Plus, y'know, getting a solid statement from CLUG about what the core purpose
of CLUG is, and making sure that it was supported by the community.

Getting a diversity statement or policy in place would probably also be a
reasonable strategic plan, too, on the same sort of basis.

Regards,
        Daniel
   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.