[clug] Announcing: Canberra Google Girl Geek Dinner #3

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 18:00:17 MDT 2009

Hi Jess,

2009/9/14 Jessica Fryer <jessicanumber at gmail.com>:
> Ummmm... what's going on here? I take a break from the email for the weekend
> and return to a brilliant case study to illustrate why the women prefer to
> get away and chat amongst ourselves for a while!
>
> Hint: it's because some of you e-tantrum when things don't revolve around
> you and others think it's appropriate to compare any random group of women
> to a harem or brothel.

The most common response I get from men when I post information about
GGD or other groups of women in IT is "What a great way to pick up!".
Otherwise perfectly sane and rational men will make stupid comments
about "bring one back for me!" or "are they all hawt?" It's as old as
the 'women on the internet' joke. And about as funny.

Just a clue, women do not congregate together like this to make it
easier for men to find the one they want to date. We gather together
for the same reason as any other group of like-minded people, because
we enjoy each others' company. Sorry to disappoint.

And just as a reminder, GGD is not exclusively women-only. Men who are
interested are also able to come, at the invitation of a girl geek.
Maybe this is a good time to hunt out the geeky women in your
workplace/social circle and ask them if they're interested in
attending?

> Luckily the group as a whole doesn't tolerate this sort of behaviour and it
> was other men who were the first to let them know.

Yes, I was pleased about that. It's nice to see the group
self-regulating, at least to an extent.

> Thanks for resoring my faith in geeky humanity.
>
> Also Lana, please count me in! I'm RSVPing now.

Got it. See you on the 17th :)

Cheers! Lana

Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning
of happiness or have gone stark raving mad.
  - Norm Papernick

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more information.