[clug] An alternate place for longer, meandering threads?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Sep 13 02:44:05 MDT 2009

Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> writes:

[...]

> If a list degrades to the point where the reason I joined is not satisfied
> then I can chose to drop off, but this does not happen due to just a few
> long, unpopular (to me) threads. For example, if clug turns into a regular
> "why I hate microsoft" or "why commercial software is a crime against
> humanity" then I will probably get off.

So would I; damn, but those are both boring topics. ;)

> And I do understand how some people are very sensitive and just one bad
> thread leaves them with a bad taste for a long time. An off-topic list will
> not protect them as threads will probably start in the main list before
> migrating off-topic.

For what it is worth, my experience is that having the officially blessed
structure can make it more comfortable for people to stand up and say they are
uncomfortable with a thread, and to ask it to move somewhere else.

For some people this can be the difference between the two options you talk
about: if they feel that CLUG, as a community, says that it is OK to ask that
a thread move they might feel that they can do that, not just leave.

You are right, of course, that it isn't a perfect protection, but we can't
ever manage a world where no one is offended, no matter how we try.

Regards,
        Daniel

   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.