[clug] Open Source Software's Dirty Little Secret

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Sat Sep 12 03:04:20 MDT 2009

Jessica Fryer wrote:
> I wonder if any of the men would like to volunteer what they think would be
> the advantages of having women more involved in Linux and the Open Source
> community.  What would you like us to contribute? What do you think you are
> missing?
>
> I have some of my own ideas about why I am personally reluctant to get
> involved but I'd appreciate your thoughts while mine settle into something
> more coherent than the angry rant I've been drafting since I saw Lana's
> message.

This is an interesting question so I'm going to throw my reply in here
on top and try to dodge much of the rest of the thread.

Personally I don't feel a strong need to inject women into the Linux
community just as I don't feel a strong need to inject Aboriginals.  I'm
sure both would cause the community to change in some manner but that
kind of sociology experiment doesn't really interest me.

What I do feel is that if women (or Aboriginals) want to contribute then
they should be encouraged and assisted in doing so.  It's clear that
women such as yourself wish to be involved but are reluctant for a
variety of reasons.  To me this barrier is the problem and needs to be
addressed.  Jacinta's comments about people being forced out is even worse.

Jessica, I would encourage you to post your thoughts and the barriers
you see once you are happy with it.  These conversations are important
and I do feel that they are slowly changing the views and attitude of
our own little corner of the community.  As an example I think the vast
majority acknowledge that needs to be addressed, I don't think this was
the case before Paul started agitating.  While we certainly haven't
improved things enough yet I'm confident we will get there, so long as
we keep talking and I think there's now enough people regularly raising
it to ensure that will happen.

David