[clug] qemu with serial console

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 20:22:38 MDT 2009

Robert Edwards wrote:

> Anyone played with qemu recently and managed to get it to work with
> a serial console (as opposed to using SDL to emulate a normal VGA
> display)? Mine starts, but I don't seem to get any output. Could be
> a GRUB issue (the VM is using GRUB as a bootloader), but I don't
> think so. VM is Debian Lenny, host is Ubuntu Jaunty.
>
> Any clues?
Hi Bob,

I haven't done this since about 2.6.10, so I'll just mention a couple of
"check it's plugged in properly" things you've probably already got covered.

1. /boot/grub/menu.lst of the guest filesystem has to be configured to
put some output on the serial port.
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/configure-boot-loader-grub.html

2. /etc/inittab on the guest filesystem needs to have a serial console
configured. Baud speed is the key thing to get right or you don't see
anything sensible. There should be a line to uncomment there already.

you don't need to worry about using seyon or minicom or similar, you can
just give qemu the -nographic option and it will use your terminal to
display serial output.

All the best,
Hal